April 25, 2019

Mandatory Trailer Registration Comes Into Effect

If your haulage work takes you (or any driver in your fleet) into Europe, Brexit or no Brexit there’s a new ruling you need to be aware of that came into effect at the end of March. The trailer registration scheme means that if you’re taking a trailer abroad, you’re now required to register it through the DVLA.

Mandatory Measures

It’s very important to note that the new requirements are mandatory so it’s pretty vital you understand what’s required and that you do it in good time, before you drive that big rig off into the European sunset. Another point to note is that this registration is separate to the Green Card proof of insurance some EU and EEA countries require. You’ll need one of those for the vehicle and one for the trailer (although that doesn’t mean it’ll cost you two lots of insurance, don’t worry).

Ohhhh Vienna

With apologies to Midge Ure, Ultravox and anyone reading this who will now have a certain tune stuck in their heads, the reason for the new legislation is that the UK has recently ratified the UN 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. That means that, from now on, if you’re doing haulage work in any of the other countries that have ratified the convention, you’ll have to be registered if you fall into the mandatory categories.

Registration Requirements

The mandatory categories, in a nutshell, are:

  • Any trailer for commercial use with a gross weight over 750kg
  • Any one for non-commercial use with a gross weight over 3,500kg (if it’s under that weight registration is voluntary)

Once you’ve registered with the DVLA they’ll send you a confirmation by email and then you’ll get a certificate in the regular post. The email will also enable you to access a number plate, which you must attach in a conspicuous place. You’re also required to carry the certificate when you travel abroad to do haulage work and to present it when asked.

If this is the first you’ve heard of the new requirement and you’ve got some international haulage work lined up for the near future, you’ll need to get in touch with the DVLA as soon as possible. If you travel without registering your trailer you’ll be in breach of the law, which could land you in a whole lot of hot water.

By becoming a member of Haulage Exchange you’ll be able to buy and sell more loads around the UK and Europe, or gain access to a vast virtual workforce so you can expand your business. As well as real-time load matching, you can enjoy the benefits of the Exchange’s professional management tools and a wealth of networking opportunities.